He Panui Whāinga | Statement of Intent
Ko ngā tapuwae tuku iho, ko te huarahi manawapou
Follow the footsteps of our ancestors to sustain humanity
E Whakaae ana Mātou | We acknowledge
Zero Waste Network is committed to te Tiriti o Waitangi where Tangata Whenua and Tangata Tiriti work in a partnership relationship to ensure the health and wellbeing of our environment, our people and our planet are enhanced and sustained.
Matou Whakaaro | Our intention
Zero Waste Network will:
- Develop and incorporate values and tikanga that reflect our intent
- Work with Tangata Whenua to protect Papatūānuku and Ranginui for the wellbeing of our tamariki mokopuna.
- Model the behaviour of a true relationship with tangata whenua and tangata tiriti in everything we do.
- Commit to continuous education, growth, and development in our knowledge and understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi embed that understanding in our work and share our learnings
Matou Tūāpapa | Our Foundation
The foundation of our Statement of Intent derives from Te Tiriti o Waitangi and our Values
Mahi Ngatāhi | Partnership: We challenge ourselves to embed Te Tiriti o Waitangi in our work by embracing Tino rangatiratanga
Whakaharatau | Practice: We create and implement effective real-world solutions to achieve zero waste taking into consideration traditional ways of being including matauranga Māori and tikanga
Whakaaetanga | Perseverance: We commit ourselves to building an abundant, regenerative, peaceful, just and fair world for our mokopuna and future generations.
Tāngata | People: We work collaboratively sharing ideas, resources and opportunities whilst weaving tangata whenua ways of being and knowing.
Kaitiakitanga o Te Taiao | Guardians of our Environment
As Kaitiaki we will:
Mahi Ngatāhi | Partnership
- Build and nurture relationships and partnerships with tangata whenua para kore advocates
- Participate in marae led initiatives and support tangata whenua priorities
- Amplify the messages of tangata whenua para kore advocates
Whakaharatau | Practice
- Utilise te reo, a taonga gifted to our nation
- Utilise waiata as a way of using te reo
- Support our team and our members to have a greater understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- Support our team to learn Matauranga Māori in relation to waste minimisation practices
- Have respect for and adherence to tapu and noa tikanga
- Promote the development of energy saving, resource minimisation and water saving methods which supports the abundance of Papatuanuku and Ranginui
- Weave tangata whenua work practices and values in our planning, processes, and procedures.
Whakaaetanga | Perseverance
- Promote the reduction of consumption that drives exploitation of the resource from Te Taiao
- Create a pathway for our tamariki and mokopuna to become future Kaitiaki of our planet
- Be a supportive advocate for kaupapa aligned to zero waste
- Advocate for respecting the value, the beauty and the mauri of the materials that exist in Te Ao Maori.
Tāngata | People
- Make a commitment to positively respond to Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- Continue to recruit and engage tangata whenua to reflect a genuine partnership relationship throughout our organisation.
- Investigate how we can support the position of whanau, hapu and Iwi on issues relative to our kaupapa.
- Learn from the experiences of others working with Tangata Whenua to promote genuine engagement
- Promote the use of Marae as places of learning, engaging, and participating in Te Ao Maori activities
- Invite tangata whenua to be our keynote speakers and share their expertise in Te Taiao mahi.